Paragliding woman and trainer trapped in electric pole

Paragliding woman and trainer trapped in electric pole: life stuck on 50 feet high electric pole, safely landed after two hours

Mar 8, 2023 - 13:56
Paragliding woman and trainer trapped in electric pole

An accident was averted during paragliding in Kerala on Tuesday. A woman (28) and her male trainer (50) got stuck in a 50 feet high electric pole while paragliding in Varkala, Thiruvananthapuram. After two hours of struggle, both were brought down and admitted to the hospital. According to the police, both are safe.
The video of this incident is going viral on social media. It can be seen that both are paragliding. While landing, his parachute got tangled in an electric pole. There are many high-voltage lights on top of the pole and both the paragliders are hanging on the pole more than 50 feet high. According to information, the incident took place at Papanasam beach in Varkala.
According to the news agency PTI, fire engines had reached the spot to rescue both, but the fire department did not have that long ladder to reach them. This was the reason that both were hanging on the pole for about two hours.
Police said mattresses and nets were placed under the pole as a precautionary measure. After several attempts, the woman and the paragliding trainer were rescued. Both have been admitted to a hospital in Varkala and are doing well now.
This is not the first time that accidents have happened during paragliding. Last year, two people died in two separate paragliding incidents within a span of 24 hours. A 50-year-old man from South Korea died after falling while paragliding in Gujarat's Mehsana district. At the same time, a 30-year-old tourist from Maharashtra died while paragliding in the Dobhi area of the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh.

Muskan Kumawat Journalist & Writer